Halloween is one of the top days for pedestrian accidents and injuries, so it is fitting that the spookiest night of the year closes out Pedestrian Safety Month. The National Safety Council shows that children are more than twice as likely to be hit by a car on Halloween. That’s one scary statistic!
Even though this sobering statistic is true year after year, there are ways you can keep the Halloween fun going and avoid a trip to the emergency room.
Keeping Kids Safe while Trick-or-Treating
Parents and caregivers can keep their children safe by taking a few extra steps before heading out to trick-or-treat.
- Avoid dark costumes
- Walk on a sidewalk if possible and use crosswalks
- Walk on the left side of the road, against traffic
- Travel in a group and have a responsible adult accompany young children
- Remind children to avoid using electronic devices while walking
- Plan out a route that is well lit
- Provide glow stick, flashlights, and put reflective tape on their costumes
Safety Tips for Drivers
If you are planning to drive on the evening of Halloween, you have a responsibility to ensure you take extra precautions to avoid colliding with a pint-sized goblin.
- Reduce speed, especially in residential areas
- Exit and enter driveways with extreme caution
- Avoid distractions like using a cell phone or loud music
- Be extra watchful for children walking on the roads and be prepared to stop quickly
- Don’t drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Injured? Contact us today
At Huffman & Huffman Brothers-in-Law, we are dedicated to helping keep our local community safe. When the unfortunate accident occurs and your child is hurt, we are here to help guide you through the process and get you the financial compensation you deserve. Our team has over 150 years of experience in personal injury cases. Let our family help your family.
Call today at (757) 330-3425 or send or send us a message online for a free consultation. We are available to talk 24 hours a day. With offices in Newport News and Virginia Beach, we serve clients all over Hampton Roads and the surrounding areas.