Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyers in Newport News
Protecting Your Family
A nursing home should be a place of care, support, and acceptance where our elderly loved ones can receive the attention they need. Sadly, some elder care facilities fail to protect their vulnerable residents. In some nursing homes, patients are mistreated and are subjected to abuse and neglect.
Nursing home abuse and neglect causes severe harm to elderly people, often who are already living with debilitating medical conditions. At Huffman & Huffman Brothers-in-Law, P.L.L.C., our Newport News nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys are committed to helping victims and their families recover the compensation they deserve.
To schedule a free consultation with our legal team, complete our contact form or call (757) 330-3425.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
In elder care facilities, staff are responsible for providing patients with medical care, supervision, food and water, and social interaction. The failure to fulfill these responsibilities or the direct harm of a patient may qualify as nursing home abuse and neglect.
The most common forms of nursing home abuse and neglect include:
- Physical abuse — This may include hitting, pushing, or any form of violence against a nursing home resident.
- Mental and emotional abuse and neglect — Ignoring, criticizing, or yelling at an elderly person can contribute to emotional anguish.
- Sexual abuse — Nursing home patients may be subjected to rape, assault, or harassment by caregivers and staff.
- Medical neglect — A nursing home resident may receive incorrect or insufficient health care.
- Malnutrition and dehydration — Patients who are not being properly fed or provided with enough water may exhibit severe health effects.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Nursing home abuse and neglect can manifest as a variety of physical and mental signs. If you have an elderly loved one who is living in a nursing home, be aware of any changes to their wellbeing.
Contact our Newport News nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys immediately if you observe any of the following in a person who is living in an elder care facility:
- Injuries including broken bones, bruises, lacerations, etc.
- Health conditions that are left untreated
- Signs of overdose or drug reactions
- Signs of malnutrition and dehydration such as weight loss, fatigue, rapid heartbeat, etc.
- Out-of-character behavior such as anxiety, depression, stress, avoidance, irritability, etc.
What to Do if You Suspect Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
If you believe your loved one is facing abuse and neglect in a nursing home facility, contact us immediately. Our legal team can help you ensure your loved one is safe and can help you recover the compensation you deserve.
The first thing you should do if you suspect nursing home abuse and neglect is to get the victim the care they need. Move them out of the unsafe nursing home and take them to a doctor if needed. Once they are safe, you can begin collecting evidence of the abuses to build a case. Save any bills or other documentation you have related to the victim’s stay at the nursing home, take photographs of any injuries, and photograph the conditions at the nursing home if you are able to do so. Our attorneys can advise you on the best course of action to take upon learning of nursing home abuse and neglect.
Contact Us 24/7 for a Free Consultation
The Huffman & Huffman Brothers-in-Law, P.L.L.C. legal team can assist you if you or a loved one has been a victim of nursing home abuse and neglect. We are prepared to provide you with support and legal guidance during this difficult time.
If you are interested in speaking with our legal team, send us a message or call (757) 330-3425 for a free consultation with our Newport News nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers.
“Thank you all at Huffman & Huffman for the patient and professional way that you handle my case and my persistent nature.”- Charles J.
“Best result for my cases.”- Donte A.
“Best I could ask for.”- Joshua C.