Virginia Boat Accident Attorneys
FIGHTING FOR THE INJURED FROM OFFICES IN VIRGINIA BEACH and NEWPORT NEWS
Every year, recreational boating accidents cause tens of millions of dollars in property damage and hundreds of deaths. According to statistics presented by the American Boating Association, 701 deaths, 2,903 injuries, and $49 million in property damage were reported in boating accidents in 2016 alone.
When a boating accident occurs, it is important to find out its cause and what sources are available to cover any injuries or losses it has caused. Huffman & Huffman Brothers-in-Law, PLLC has experienced boat accidents attorneys to help clients across Virginia who have been injured or have lost loved ones in watercraft accidents. From our offices in Virginia Beach and Newport News, our boat accident attorneys offer sound guidance and dedicated representation to pursue maximum compensation.
To find out more about the ways our team can help you with free consultation, call (757) 599-6050 or contact us online.
What Causes Boating Accidents?
The top contributing factors in recreational boating accidents are:
- Boating under the influence (BUI): According to the U.S. Coast Guard, alcohol was the leading contributing factor in fatal boating accidents in 2017, and among the top five in reported accidents overall.
- Falling overboard: 68% of boating accident deaths are caused by drowning, and 80% of those who drown are not wearing a life jacket. Virginia law requires there to be one life jacket available for each passenger. If they are not being worn, they must be “readily accessible.”
- Speeding: Each state has designated speeds at which watercraft may travel. Exceeding the speed limit increases the risk of crashing into unseen objects just under the water’s surface.
- Ignoring weather conditions: Check local weather forecasts before heading out on the water, and refrain from embarking if poor weather is predicted. If the weather suddenly becomes poor while you are on the open water, return to shore as soon as you can.
- Machinery failure: Boat part defects can be the direct cause of a boating accident if the piece that fails contributes to the safe operation of the vessel.
The majority of boating accidents can be attributed to operator inexperience or inattention. If the person operating the boat is not properly trained, is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or is simply not paying proper attention, the results can be catastrophic.
Whether your accident was caused by the person operating the boat, by a defective boat part, or by any other issue, our Newport News boating accident lawyers can help you take the appropriate steps to pursue financial compensation. This can help you start putting the pieces of your life back together, even if this seems difficult or impossible at the moment. With our over 150 years of collective experience and our record of success in and out of the courtroom, Huffman & Huffman is in an ideal position to help you seek justice.
- 10 Boating Safety Tips for Summer
- Boating Laws You Should Know
- Can I Get a DUI While Boating
- I Was Injured in a Boating Accident. Now What?
- Boating and Water Safety at the Beach
- I Was Injured by My Defective Boat. Can I Sue?
- Why You Should Never Drink and Boat
Schedule your free consultation by calling (757) 599-6050 today!
Boat Accident FAQ
- Who is responsible for my injuries in a boating accident?
You might know that the other party in your boating accident is responsible for your injuries, but that does not mean anyone else knows it. In a personal injury claim, liability is a term of legal responsibility. You have to show that the other party was liable, whether they were another boater, passenger, boat manufacturer, etc.
- Is seeking compensation for a boat accident different from other types of accidents?
Demanding compensation in a boating accident case is similar to that in any other personal injury claim. It all comes down to identifying the liable parties, finding and using evidence to prove that liability, and calculating the damages owed to you.
- What damage can be recovered in a boating accident case?
The damage you can recover in a boat accident case could include any costs related to your injuries, lost wages, and suffering. Medical bills, including future medical costs, will probably make a large portion of the total damages you need to pursue. The wages you missed because you were too injured to work will also contribute significantly to your damages. Damages related to your pain, suffering, and disabilities are also pursuable in a boat accident case.