You were just in an accident and now have to deal with the aftermath. If you’re feeling scared, stressed, frustrated or any of a dozen other emotions, you’re not alone! There are a few important steps you should take in the event of an accident.
Here is a short list of things to do after you are in an accident:
- Consider Safety First. Turn the car off, put it in park, engage the parking brake, and, if possible, move it out of the way of traffic.
- Call the Police. Always call the police, whether the accident was minor or not, because they will be the best judges at the scene of the accident. Cooperate with them, don’t place blame on the other driver, and never admit fault.
- Check on everyone involved. Go check on the other driver and passengers for any injuries or dizziness to determine if you need to call 911.
- Get all the important evidence/information. Exchange insurance information with the other driver.
- File an insurance claim. The sooner the better. You can begin filing the claim at the scene of the accident and later when things have calmed down.
If you were in an accident, it’s important to take these step to make sure that you took the precautions and correct steps to deal with the situation correctly. If you or someone you know was the victim of an accident, contact The Brothers in Law for the assistance you deserve at (757) 599-6050.
Types of Damages in a Car Accident Claim
Lawyers often use the term “damages” when discussing car accident-related claims and cases. However, there isn’t just one type of damage that can be pertinent to you if you’ve been in a car crash. Typically, three types of damage could apply economic damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages. It’s important to understand the makeup of...
Should I Sue a Friend or a Family Member After an Accident?
You’ve been in an accident with a close friend or a family member. It’s a sticky situation because while you are close, there is damage to you or your property. Those damages cost money. An accident is an accident, and you don’t want to be on the hook for something you weren’t responsible for. Suing...
5 Reasons to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
A personal injury is something none of us ever want to experience. These injuries are unpredictable, traumatic, and in most cases, expensive. Not only do you have to consider the costly medical bills resulting from your injuries, but you may also have lost wages due to time missed at work and other damages that affect...