What to do After an Accident
You were just in an accident and now have to deal with the aftermath. If you’re feeling scared, stressed, frustrated or any of a dozen other emotions, you’re not alone! There are a few important steps you should take in the event of an accident.
Here is a short list of things to do after you are in an accident:
- Consider Safety First. Turn the car off, put it in park, engage the parking brake, and, if possible, move it out of the way of traffic.
- Call the Police. Always call the police, whether the accident was minor or not, because they will be the best judges at the scene of the accident. Cooperate with them, don’t place blame on the other driver, and never admit fault.
- Check on everyone involved. Go check on the other driver and passengers for any injuries or dizziness to determine if you need to call 911.
- Get all the important evidence/information. Exchange insurance information with the other driver.
- File an insurance claim. The sooner the better. You can begin filing the claim at the scene of the accident and later when things have calmed down.
If you were in an accident, it’s important to take these step to make sure that you took the precautions and correct steps to deal with the situation correctly. If you or someone you know was the victim of an accident, contact The Brothers in Law for the assistance you deserve at (757) 330-3425.