Pedestrians Deaths at an All-Time High
According to a new study, pedestrian deaths are at an all-time high and it does NOT appear to be a statistical anomaly. “U.S. pedestrian deaths totaled nearly 6,000 in 2017 for the second straight year amid mounting signs that walkers and drivers are dangerously distracted, according to a new study.” (USA Today)
According to a report from the Governor’s Highway Safety Association, “GHSA estimates that there were 5,984 pedestrian fatalities in 2017, essentially unchanged from the 5,987 pedestrians killed in 2016. The report also explores potential contributors to the high number of pedestrian fatalities, considering factors including state legalization of recreational marijuana and the dramatic growth in smartphone use.”
To keep you and your family safe while walking and driving the streets of Hampton Roads, here are a few tips.
- Don’t let your phone distract you into danger. When you’re crossing busy roads or walking alongside well-traveled thoroughfares, keep your phone in your pocket and pay attention to the environment around you.
- Watch your speed! When driving in areas where pedestrians are also present, it is especially important to obey speed limits and crosswalk laws. “If you’re hit by a car that’s going 25 miles an hour, you have an 80 percent chance of surviving. If you’re hit by the same car going 40 miles an hour, you only have a 20 percent chance of surviving.”
- Clean your headlights and wear reflective clothing. As a driver, having clean headlights that are able to shine to their full potential and illuminate any potential hazards can greatly increase the safety of your driving. The same can be said for pedestrians out at night. Make yourself more visible to drivers and you’ll make yourself safer.
We hope these tips help keep you safe. If you or someone you know do become the victim of an accident, call The Brothers in Law at (757) 330-3425.