In addition to bringing cold weather and shorter days, winter also brings with it the increased risk of personal injury. The combination of winter weather conditions and holiday parties fueled by alcohol leads to an uptick in car accidents and slip and fall incidents.
The most dangerous conditions to be aware of:
- Snow, slush and ice on the roads. Black ice, in particular, is very dangerous because it cannot be seen.
- Many car owners do not equip their vehicles with winter tires or let their tires’ tread become bare.
- Lack of experience or caution while driving in winter conditions
- More darkness decreases visibility
- Winter storms decrease visibility
Couple these weather conditions with crowded roads and inebriated drivers and that is a recipe for disaster. While some of these issues are unavoidable, it’s important to be proactive where possible to avoid personal injury.
- Minimize night driving unless absolutely necessary. It’s harder to see hazards and visibility is lowered.
- Check your tire tread. Bald tires can’t grip on the road well and will leave you more vulnerable to sliding.
- Know your limits. Have you grown up most of your life in Florida and never really seen, let alone driven, in snow and ice? Maybe you aren’t the ideal driver for the day, leave it to those who have more experience navigating in winter weather conditions.
Stay safe out there and everyone has a wonderful holiday!
Types of Damages in a Car Accident Claim
Lawyers often use the term “damages” when discussing car accident-related claims and cases. However, there isn’t just one type of damage that can be pertinent to you if you’ve been in a car crash. Typically, three types of damage could apply economic damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages. It’s important to understand the makeup of...
Should I Sue a Friend or a Family Member After an Accident?
You’ve been in an accident with a close friend or a family member. It’s a sticky situation because while you are close, there is damage to you or your property. Those damages cost money. An accident is an accident, and you don’t want to be on the hook for something you weren’t responsible for. Suing...
5 Reasons to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
A personal injury is something none of us ever want to experience. These injuries are unpredictable, traumatic, and in most cases, expensive. Not only do you have to consider the costly medical bills resulting from your injuries, but you may also have lost wages due to time missed at work and other damages that affect...