Newport News Car Accident Attorneys
Thousands of Clients Served Successfully
If you’ve been involved in a car accident recently, you’re far from alone. On average, 6 million car accidents occur in the U.S. each year, and of those accidents, around 3 million people are injured. 2 million drivers experience permanent injuries every year. Based on a number of common factors, many car accidents are caused by other negligent or careless drivers. Our car accident attorneys in Newport News believe that those injured deserve to be compensated by the responsible parties. If you’re ready to get back on your feet, call Huffman & Huffman Brothers-in-Law, P.L.L.C. to help.
Causes of Car Accidents
Road accidents can occur for a variety of reasons and sometimes involve a combination of reasons. Many accidents, unfortunately, occur at the hands of a negligent driver.
Car accidents can be caused by:
- Distracted driving: This is the most common cause of car accidents, resulting in more crashes than drunk driving and speeding. Distracted driving can include using a cellphone while driving, eating or drinking, or dozing off.
- Speeding: This is illegal behavior that increases the possibility of losing control at the wheel and causing an accident. Also, the faster the vehicle travels, the more potential there is for serious injuries to occur.
- Reckless driving: This includes everything from tailgating other drivers, ignoring road signs, speeding, and changing lanes without signaling or looking.
- Drunk driving: When people drive while intoxicated, they can behave recklessly and take longer to react.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can cause injuries to virtually any part of the body, depending on speed and how you are hit.
Common injuries we’ve dealt with include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Wrist and hand injuries
- Bruises and lacerations
- Knee injuries
- Whiplash and neck injuries
- Scars and facial injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
Sometimes car accidents can even result in the loss of limbs, rendering victims permanently disabled. You deserve to be properly compensated for what you’ve had to go through. Our lawyers are compassionate and devoted to taking care of our clients’ needs first.
What to Do After a Car Accident
Right after a car accident occurs, you may be in a state of shock and don’t know how to proceed. It’s important to know what to do in order to prevent the situation from getting worse.
First, stay at the scene of the accident – leaving can be considered a crime. Make sure you’re off the road and your car is in park and turned off. Check yourself for injuries – if your injuries aren’t serious, exchange insurance information with the other driver(s).
Information you should gather includes:
- Names and contact information of drivers and passengers
- Other vehicle’s make, model and year, as well as license plate number
- Photos of damages to your car and the other driver’s car
- The name of the other driver’s insurance company and their policy number
- The location of the accident
- The police officer’s name and badge number, if they’re at the scene
If you have been injured, it’s important to get to a hospital immediately to be evaluated. Once you’ve been treated, you should contact a lawyer to determine whether you have a personal injury case on your hands. Our car accident lawyers in Newport News offer consultations and can help you consider your next steps.
For stress-free service and strong legal counsel, call us at (757) 330-3425 today.
“They always have someone to answer your questions and keep you well-informed! I had never used a lawyer before, but I had a really great experience with them!”- Janet S.
“John Paulson and Sarah Kennedy have been exceptional and truly by my side, every step of the way never experienced such attentiveness and quality service that was provide really impressed with the entire firm.”- Aida H.
“It took a little over a year to settle my case but it was worth the wait. I highly recommend them!”- Cynthia G.